Before we go any further, let’s get one thing straight. I am not a writer or a food critic. I’ve never claimed to be either.
This blog exists purely to share my love of food and particularly the restaurants I visit (of which there are many).
Although I have called them ‘restaurant reviews’ – for lack of a better word – they’re really just my experiences. I’m not claiming to be an expert, but I do have a lot of experience eating out over the last 10 years. I turn up, eat, take photos and write what I think. Simple.
Why Food Geek?
Good question! A few years ago somebody called me a “food geek”, I’m not sure if it was intended to be a compliment but of course I took it as one. When I needed to come up with a name for this food blog it seemed the obvious choice.
A Bit More About Me
I’ll try not to be too long and boring here;
- I’m an internet consultant/internet marketing geek based in the North West. I love what I do, particularly as it’s flexible enough to allow me to eat out so often and run this blog.
- I love all food, I haven’t found a cuisine I don’t like yet and love trying new things. My favourites are probably Japanese, Mexican and Indian but they do tend to change, a lot. I’m a fan of classical French, Italian, fine-dining and even (good) burgers too.
- These days I’m as obsessed with craft beer as I am with food. In fact, I’m hoping to get a sister blog dedicated to craft beer up and running very soon. Watch this space!
- I’m a complete chilli freak, I put it in pretty much everything I make. Though I didn’t particularly enjoy the pure Naga chilli chicken wings I had to eat to win the SoLita Hot Wing Challenge.
- I like cocktails too, Mojito’s are my favourite but i’m rather fond of Margaritas and Caipirinhas too. Oh, and my new found love is Peruvian Pisco Sour.
- I collect cookbooks, I stopped counting once I passed 150!
- I know it’s cool to hate him but I’m a huge Jamie Oliver fan, if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have started cooking in the first place, wouldn’t have visited 90% of the restaurants I have and this blog wouldn’t exist, meaning you’d be wasting your time reading about somebody else!
- I love going to restaurants. Whether it’s 3 Michelin star restaurants in London, the ‘Best Restaurant In The World’ in Copenhagen or local hidden gems. I’m based in Greater Manchester so visit lots of restaurants in the Manchester & Lancashire areas. But I also love to travel (as much as possible with two young children) whether it’s to London or countries like France & Portugal and of course Denmark.
- In 2014 I also developed a love of supper clubs, much to my surprise. You can read about them here.
- In summer 2015 I launched a sister blog called ‘Beer Geek‘ where I ramble on about beer.
If you have any questions, comments about the site or suggestions of places I should eat please let me know.
I spend far too long on Twitter; feel free to follow and say hello.
Also, follow me on Instagram for sexy food snaps.
Watch my descent into alcoholism on Untappd.
Apparently some people actually use Google Plus, if that’s you, you can find me here.